Tuesday, November 6, 2007

JAB WE MET - KUT 2007

JAB WE MET - KUT 2007

On the 31st Oct I was transported to New Delhi, spent the KUT eve in a not so popular economy hotel at East of Kailash and the next morning (KUT) dedicated service to my employer (Catholic Relief Services). Luckily for me Enakshi (my boss) and Deepa (TISS classmate) suggested we all go out to join common friends Mangboi Kipgen and Kikim Kipgen at the much more popular Delhi Haat for KUT special dinner. The out-of-the-world Naga Pork gourmet there completed the KUT celebration.

Mangboi played the NRH (Non-resident Host) and billed the food expense and we unanimously declared him the KUT PA (Chief Guest) of the night out.

The next day after office business, I joined old friends Tongmang and Chochong at #320 DDA Flats, Dwarka and spent the night catching up on family, kids, professional fronts, etc. Both their kids enjoyed my intrusion as they went about displaying all the antics our friends (the couple) taught their kids.

In the morning of 3rd Nov, my host drove me to the domestic airport in his faithful under nourished milky white four seaters all the while seemingly worried on driving back ASAP and packing up the entire family for the Chavang Golseh at JNU stadium where as usual Kukis of Delhi would flock together to sing Li li li li.!. Ho ho ho ho ho….. soon after my lailleng took off (lailleng = airplane as is called in N.C. Hills) as I reclined to take a quick nap my CPU tried reasoning why my host rather strangely ran off immediately after reaching me and suddenly, the truth struck me and I could not empathize with him more (his only motivation was to avoid the volleys of Greek words from the showman -event main organizer). Minutes before I doze off, a tinge of nostalgia sipped in of the early 90s parties the Showman most efficiently organized and how much we all enjoyed them. Till today after a good 15 years, whenever the word party crossed me I am reminded of the original showman of Delhi with those wild nights he put together for us in Outram Lines, Satya Niktan, Vijay Nagar, KMC etc. and those intentionally toned muscles of Tahchapas glued around the most slender waists of Tahchanus dancing through the night under the spellbound slokas of Bryan Adams, Elton John, Celine Dion ….

It was fate that took me back to old time Delhi this KUT and I will treasure the moments spent with Enakshi, Kim, Mangboi, Deepa at Delhi Haat, the reassuring phone talk with Hethong, and the quality time spent with Tem, Chong and their lovely (read cute) boys. One very funny fourth also is that I missed KUT celebration for the fourth consecutive years in Guwahati while very much a resident of Guwahati.

May God bless all of you!

Mangneo Lhungdim -the KUT misser

No comments: